Disclaimer:

Disclaimer:

1) My posts are not intended to replace or act in place of a counseling relationship.

2) If you are in crisis you should go to your local hospital or police station for assistance.

3) I can not guarantee confidentiality if you choose to become a follower or if you post comments on my blog.

I hold a masters degree in counseling and I am a licensed professional counselor in the state of Idaho. My intent with this blog is to post my perspectives on different mental health topics. This blog is NOT intended to replace or act in place of a counseling relationship.

I take confidentiality very serious and have taken steps to afford each of you the opportunity to remain anonymous if you choose. There are two things that will increase the chance of you being recognizable by others; 1) becoming an official follower of my blog 2) posting comments to my blog. If you don't want to be identified, I encourage you to avoid doing these two things.



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Frequency, Intensity & Duration

For those of you keeping up with me each week, you'll notice I didn't post last week. I was doing some self care by doing some camping. My supervisor at Fairview Clinical Services recently drew my attention to a process this week described by Ray S. Anderson in his book “Self Care”. The process was described like this:


Beginning at the bottom with any event that comes to mind, it is explained that we experience a trigger which gives us an internal sensation that becomes a feeling. From the feeling state, we have the option of going down the thinking path or the emotion path to the application phase. For the purpose of this blog, I’m not going to go into much more detail than that. Instead, I would like to take a moment to focus a little bit on the part in the middle that is bold and in red. I added this piece based on what I learned in Research Methods and Statistics a couple years ago. I’ve found it very helpful.

Frequency-Intensity-Duration

As part of our design, we are intended to measure subtleties. It helps us survive and thrive in our world. When we encounter a trigger that leads us to “thinking” or “emotion” it is sometimes helpful to slow the process down. Slowing down the process gives us the opportunity to more clearly identify the trigger before we get too far away from the trigger. Ultimately, growth or healing is easiest when we can identify what causes us to respond in certain and sometimes unhealthy ways. Could we wait for the behavior (Application Phase)? Sure we could. What I’m suggesting is that when we find ourselves moving from the observation phase to the application phase, we consider three things.

1) Frequency
2) Intensity
3) Duration

These three things provide us great insight. With insightfulness, we can be more purposeful in our decisions and actions. The truth is, people are often hurting others or helping others without even knowing it. Through insight, I believe people can maximize how much good they do for themselves and others.

4 comments:

  1. This is so similar to what i was trying to convey on my facebook post...maybe i do know a thing or two. It really does help to break things down to there most simple components, especially when thoughts and feelings can seem so chaotic and random. There are always reasons. It really is the physics term "information conservation" put to the tune of our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the comparison to physics. Now I have to look up "information conservation" but I like to learn new things. I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it goes feeling > emotion > thinking (why do i feel this way about it) > In thinking about why I feel the way I do, I produce a better intention.

    There is, like you said, a lot of detail in the emotion and thinking steps and it is possible to use emotion to come about logic but that tends to be a strength of women. I haven't practiced it enough to use it consistently and safely. I do think that if I did try, I might better understand women, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bring up a good point about gender difference. There are things that are often more typical for different genders. There are many different reasons for it, biology being only one of the reasons. Cultural pressure, childhood attachments and trauma are also significant factors to consider.

    ReplyDelete